Apply for Italian dual citizenship in Italy
Italian dual citizenship applications directly in Italy
Applying for Italian dual citizenship is easy and simple with the assistance of Get Italian Citizenship.
A practical choice
A way to skip the consulate
Italian dual citizenship comes with a wealth of benefits. From owning property in Italy to affordable education and healthcare as well as the added protection from two countries when traveling abroad, an Italian passport is your ticket to the freedom of the European Union at large. The opportunities afforded by possessing Italian dual citizenship cannot be overstated. But, beyond that an Italian passport is so much more. It means bringing your family's long history full circle. It means holding in your hand the results of your commitment to your heritage. It means a real, quantifiable connection to the land of your ancestors. When you obtain Italian dual citizenship, you are bringing your own family's journey home and unraveling your personal Italian story.
With wait times of up to 4 years at certain consulates, there is a massive interest in obtaining Italian dual citizenship. Chronically understaffed Italian consulates in the United States are contending with a swell of applicants and less resources now than they had ten years ago. Recent measures on behalf of the Italian government to implement a 300 euro fee per each applicant via the consulates has done little to quell increasingly long wait times for appointments as well as increasingly difficult requirements. What's more, each consulate works in its own little bubble with its own requirements that vary from time to time (and even from consular worker to consular worker). Applying in Italy takes away the long appointment wait times as well as stringent requirements and subjective requests.
How it works
Get in touch with us
First, you contact us. Tell us when you'd like to be in Italy and let us know all the information you can about your family. We'll check our availability, go over your eligibility, examine your records, translate them, and make sure you have a complete application ready to be handed in on the ground in Italy.
Arrive & Request residency
Once everything is confirmed, we will welcome you to your new home in Italy. Once you're settled, we'll take you to apply for your residency. We'll help you fill out all the necessary forms and make sure your residency is confirmed in a timely manner.
Hand in your documents
After your residency has been put into the town's system and you're officially on their register of residents, you can then hand in your documents. We'll sit with you at your appointment where you will show the town officials all of your vital records which have been pre-examined and translated by us.
Wait for your citizenship!
Once everything has been taken care of for you during your stay in Italy, you'll begin the waiting portion for your recognition of Italian dual citizenship. We will work on your behalf with the consulates back home and the comune to process everything as fast as possible.
Our Italian dual citizenship application packages
At Get Italian Citizenship, we offer two types applications in Italy: expedited and semi-DIY. Read more to find out about each.
Standard Italian dual citizenship application
- Private accommodations in an authentic Italian town
- Italian translations of your American documents for use in Italy
- Interpreting on your behalf at meetings with Italian officials
- Residency in Italy for your application
- Assistance in handing in your citizenship application documents at the town hall where you've elected residency
- Follow up with the Italian comune and Italian consulate on your behalf
- Assistance in enrolling in A.I.R.E. once you are recognized a citizen
- Assistance in obtaining your Italian passport and/or Italian identity card after recognition of your Italian citizenship
Semi-DIY Italian citizenship application
This option is best for people who know where they want to apply in Italy, and it's outside one of our network towns. Semi-DIY applicants don't need an expedited application, but they also get to enjoy the relatively quick processing times in Italy by skipping the consulates. Clients who semi-DIY apply must stay in Italy for the entire duration of their application. We'll include:
- Translation of all your documents
- Interpreting for you at all your meetings, anywhere in Italy
- Advocating on your behalf, using the appropriate laws and circulars
- Unlimited contact on your behalf with Italian officials
- Assistance setting up residency
- Checking documents for compliance with comune requirements
- Follow-up until you have your passport